Saturday, July 21, 2018

Creating Her Nursery

Hello!

We are officially "near term" at 36 weeks! So if labor started now, theres no delaying or prolonging it! Thats insane. I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Each milestone in the pregnancy, from finding we were pregnant December 11th, 2017 today feels so long ago yet like yesterday at the same time.

She gave us a little bit of a scare last Monday when I started having contractions bad enough that seemed worth calling the doctor for. The doctor sends me to L&D triage, who at first pretty much brushed us off as totally fine but thought we could run some tests anyway. Turns out contractions were real, coming at around every 10 minutes or so and I was 1cm dilated, 80% effaced! For those not familiar with these terms (I really wasn't either til last Monday), the baby is ready to start pushing out at 10 cm. Effacement goes up to 100% and is speaking of how thin your cervix is. The thinner it is, (100%), the closer you are til baby comes out. So I seemed to be in questionable labor. We waited and waited longer in triage to see if I would progress (even got a hot stylish gown and robe and we walked the hallways) but alas, we did not progress and actually the contractions seemed to have stopped on their own. Baby Tan was like, wait no- Nevermind- not ready yet! So home we went. Ever since then we sort of have had whipped our butts into gear to finalize getting ready for babies arrival.

So that brings me to my topic, the progress of our nursery being put together!

Creating the art was one of my favorite parts. We chose a theme of Disney's Frozen, as we both are pretty big Disney nerds, we both like it cold (no really she's gonna get used to being chilly quick so we may as well put snowflakes in her room), and we love Anna, Elsa, Sven and Olaf. We also had to buy the paint when it was on sale, and at the time did not know the gender yet. We genuinely guessed it was a boy so we went with blue, and thought if it was a girl we can girly it up with a feminine touches throughout the room.

So with the frozen theme I wanted to create portraits of those favorite four characters. Here is the beginning of each and the ending:

Anna:





Elsa:





Sven:





Olaf:


 



The rest involved a little more hands on construction. When we moved in, the room that we converted to the nursery was a spare bedroom that likely hadn't been updated since the house was built in 1987. The carpet was stained, smelled, the paint was just a base white, and it just lacked any personality. Also the fan on top looked to be original with the house also!



So out came the carpet, in went the laminate floor, and painted the walls:










Then came the furniture (only minor amounts of cursing and tantrums involved), and decorations, and we have a finished product!! Special parts of this photo: The quilt atop our changing table is made by my very talented friend Jess who makes thousands of quilts and I am honored to have our little girl grow up with her own! Its designed to be Anna's dress and the back of it is Elsa's (we plan to rotate). Check out her website here: The Quilty Habit







The artwork:



The closet! A little messy right now as we are still organizing what goes where...



The crib! Next to it is a very special gift, Jasper. I grew up with Jasper! My grandpa made it for me when I was about 2 years old and It has stayed with me my whole life. It then stayed at my parents house when I moved out, and my mother gifted it to me (well, my daughter) now at her baby shower. Now she can grow up with it, and hopefully pass it along to her child also one day. Very special!




We are so lucky and so blessed to have been gifted with so many wonderful additions to the nursery, our baby girl is so lucky to have so many friends and family that love her so much! We also were very fortunate to be pregnant when Babies R Us is going out of business and we got much of the furniture brand new at a very discounted price! Can't beat it.

Few more additions coming as we finish up some more pieces of artwork for her, and I can't wait to show you!

We are absolutely stoked to meet her and can't wait. Although the calendar states we have to wait four weeks, I think it will be more like 2! But we will see!

With love,

The New Motherboard <3

No comments:

Post a Comment